Monday, May 05, 2014

TWO YEARS

Happy anniversary to me, I guess.

Two years ago today, I had a stroke. There's still a big place on my left leg where there's no feeling, and a few holes in my memory that have stubbornly refused to wake up. Otherwise, it's all cool.

It's cool that I still have vivid dreams that wake me up in the middle of the night. It's cool that I still carry on internal conversations with ghosts. So cool that I stumble through the days and nights and wonder when I will be released.

"You looked heavy," Addie said today, "and I don't mean fat." Note: it's time to wear a thicker mask.

The numbness on my leg and face: that's a nice feeling. More numb, please, an all-over anesthesia to quiet the noise in my head. No feeling would be a good feeling.

Two years. Peace.

No comments: