Thursday, September 06, 2012

BLUE-SKY THINKING

White-collar whiz kids like to say they're engaged in blue-sky thinking, where they come up with "creative ideas that are not limited by current thinking or beliefs." Or reality, come to think of it. Because the very notion of blue-sky thinking requires someone to ignore the current constraints of the present world. If you can't, if you don't, you can't dream. And if you can't dream, you can't possibly think of things greater than yourself.

There are several blue skies in my head right now.

Work: I'm thinking of ways to revamp and reinvent newscasts.

Personal: A similar reinvention is required. I need to figure out who I'm going to become.

Play: There's nothing like hearing about the suicide of an old acquaintance to rattle the mind's windows. He liked to play, too. Maybe he just got tired of it.

It's a writing night. That always forces me to look to the skies, where I hope to see blue, and perhaps some sunshine. Or at least no darkness.

No comments: